Afghanistan Fun Facts
- Afghan culture is centered around hospitality and respect. When hosting guests, Afghan people will go to great lengths to ensure their visitors feel honored and welcome.
- Poetry is a cherished staple of Afghan culture. Afghans have shared their stories through verse for over 1,000 years. In the city of Haret, many gather on Thursday evenings to share modern and ancient poems, enjoy tea and pastries, and listen to traditional Hareti songs late into the night.
- For centuries, Afghan cooking has been heavily influenced by surrounding cultures – predominantly Persian and Indian.
- Of the multitude of spices used in Afghan cooking, the ones most often used are pepper, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, and saffron.
- Afghanistan’s national dish is Kabuli palaw.
- Popular native fruits in Afghanistan include grapes, sweet melons, and pomegranates.
- Pashto and Dari are the official languages of Afghanistan.
- The most popular sports in Afghanistan are football (soccer) and cricket.
- The word Afghan was originally derived from “Asvakan”, which translates to “horsemen” or “horse breeders.”